Immense pressure is imposed on young children from the moment they are born to become independent. The effect is more often than not the opposite of this. Independence and self-confidence are nurtured by an experience of attuned communication provided by the earliest caregivers...
- Antonella Sansone, researcher/clinical psychologist, author of "Mothers, Babies and Their Body Language" & other books
Children are educated by what the grown-up is and not by his talk.
- Carl Jung, psychotherapist and founder of analytical psychology
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou, poet, playwright, author & more
Parenting for a Caring World
Your Resource for CARE Parenting
Conscious, Attuned, Responsive and Empathetic
People develop empathy from receiving empathy or witnessing empathy.
- Mary Gordon, founder of "Roots of Empathy" program
(Note from PCW: No one learns to become an empathetic person by being lectured
Will increasing empathy solve all the world's problems? Of course not. But few of them can be solved without it. - Bruce Perry, MD, PhD, founder of Child Trauma Academy and author of "Born For Love" & other books and articles
"Secure Babies, Strong Children, Successful Adults"
The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, theologian
Children need models rather than critics. - Joseph Joubert, moralist
We are profoundly relational beings who have been living....in anti-relational (mechanistic) systems of thought and ways of doing things.
- Charlene Spretnak, author of "Relational Reality" and other books
Relationships are the agents of change and the most powerful therapy is human love.
- Bruce Perry, MD, PhD, founder of Child Trauma Academy and author of "Born For Love" and other books and articles.
The ear is the center of all relationships. Listening is the beginning and the end.
- Henry Winkler, actor (The Fonz, Eddie Lawson, etc.)
(Note from PCW: Listening doesn't do any good unless the speaker feels heard. Babies only feel heard if parents/caregivers respond to their cues, strive to understand what they need and do their best to meet those needs.)